HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

You Want Me to Do What?

I've been asked to give the keynote address at a local research conference!!

The conference is for all graduate students at my university. It's a one-day thing, where students from all disciplines share their research in either a talk or a poster. They always have a keynote speaker at the end of the conference, just before dinner.

A couple months ago, I received an email from one of the organizers, saying that he'd like to nominate me to give my talk about the Impostor Syndrome (I put together a workshop on this last summer, and gave it to the physics department in the Fall). Apparently, someone at the Teaching Support Centre (where I took the course which I created the workshop in), recommended me.

I told the guy I was interested, but didn't think anything much about it. Then, today, I get an email from the committee saying they have chosen my talk to be the keynote address!!

I don't know how many people will be there - maybe 100 or so? I'm so excited, and a bit nervous too! I mean last year, they had Jorge Cham (of PhD Comics fame)!! How am I going to live up to that?? (oh, hello impostor syndrome....old friend)

It's definitely a great opportunity though, and I'm sure it will open a lot of doors for me around the university. YAY!!!