HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, January 8, 2010

Resolution Roadblock

One of my resolutions this year was to find some (fun, enjoyable) activities that I can do to get fit. For the last couple years I have wanted to start swimming.

I took swimming lessons when I was a kid, and got all the way up to maroon level. Which I failed. Twice, I believe. I stopped there because, apparently, that's what I do (what do you mean I didn't pass without practicing? Screw this!)

I haven't really done any swimming since then, but when I do get in a pool I enjoy doing laps. So, I figure this could be one activity I could at least try out this year.

The first step was to get a proper swimming suit. You know, to actually swim in, not to lie-on-a-beach in, or float-around-on-an-air-filled-mattress in. I bought one this week. I think it was the only thing at The Bay that wasn't on sale.

The second step is to, well, swim. The tricky part isn't finding a pool to use. Our apartment complex has a nice indoor pool, and the gym that I apparently have a membership with also has one (with lanes and everything).

The problem is getting over my anxiety of...sucking. I don't want to be the lame woman at the pool that has to resort to using the doggy-paddle, or one of those flutter boards, because I haven't been swimming in so long.

I also don't have goggles. Do many people use these? Will I look like a moron if I don't use them? What about a nose plug? And all that shaving...(was that TMI?)

Are you reading what I'm reading? Clearly these are all lame excuses. I need to just force myself to go, and hope that no one really gives a crap about what I'm doing or how I'm doing it.

So, Monday morning, about an hour after I have breakfast, I'm going to head to the gym and do this thing. I'm even going to put it in my day planner.

Hopefully I don't drown...