HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Update: Boredom No More

After bitching last week about things not progressing much, I decided to be proactive and take matters into my own hands.

I talked to my post-doc supervisor about the extra time on my hands, and he has given me a new project to start on. I'm very excited about this one, because it involves computer modeling of solar system dynamics - which is what I really wanted to do for my PhD thesis. We also talked about ways to make the other data crunching go faster. In fact, we had a collaborator drop by yesterday, and he gave us some great ideas, and also told us of some upcoming data that we can use!

As for the job hunting, I've set up meetings upon meetings with various people around the university who do research or activities that I'm interested in. So far I've met six people in person, and they have given me some great ideas, and other contacts as well. I have four other meetings set up, and hope to get a few more. Even though nothing concrete has developed, it's nice to know that people have me in mind if something comes up. Networking is tough, but I can see how it might pay off.

I'm also getting myself involved with other groups around campus, and offering my volunteer time. Apparently the cure for boredom is being proactive - who knew?