HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thankful

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving up here in Canada, and there is much to be thankful for this year: finishing my PhD, DH having a permanent job, having the means to travel to exotic locations, our health, the love from our family and friends, the comfort of our cats...

Thanksgiving weekend has always marked the real beginning of fall for me. The crisp, cool mornings, the changing leaves, comfy sweaters, hot tea, football, and all the new TV shows! It truly is my favorite time of year, even though it lasts for just a few weeks - if we're lucky. London is a beautiful place to be this time of year, with all the trees turning all sorts of of beautiful colors. This is in stark contrast to Calgary (where I grew up), where they go from green to yellow to brown in a matter of days (but the snow-covered mountains covered are sure pretty!).

Fig.1: Fall colors - near Niagara Falls, 2006.

We had our Thanksgiving dinner last night with a friend of ours (DH's best man). It was so nice to gather around a table full of wonderful food and catch up, talk about old times, and laugh our asses off.

This is the time of year where "back home" is still greatly missed. Thanksgiving was always a weekend of family get-togethers, and I miss being a part of those. I become a little sad when I think about all of them sitting around the table, wine and food galore, telling stories and jokes, and just enjoying each others company. As much as I love having our own celebrations, I imagine a time where we can all celebrate together again.