HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

WiASS Conference

I have been eying the website of the Women in Astronomy and Space Science 2009 conference, and it looks like it will be a good one. I'm particularly interested in the sessions about how professional societies can influence percentages and retention, paths to non-academic careers, re-entering academia after a break, and parenthood.

The conference is from October 21-23rd, and I fully intend to go. I don't have funding for it, but they are offering travel grants for early-career astronomers. Hopefully I can get at least partial funding from that, and then also apply for grants/bursaries through my university. And hey, if I end up having to pay for it myself, that would be okay (but not ideal).

I'm really excited for this conference because I would get to meet (hopefully) like-minded women in the field. It sounds like there is a a lot of time scheduled for networking, especially during meals (which will be done together for the most part - and are even included in the registration!).

I would also like to contribute a poster, but am a bit stuck on ideas. I haven't done any formal research on topics related to women in astronomy - but I'm meeting with a professor today, who is also going, to discuss ideas.

Is anyone else planning on going to this conference?