HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Least Wonderful Time of the Year

The September Scientiae is hosted by Academic over at Journeys of an Academic. The theme of the month is Inspiration or Desperation? Invariably, the semester start brings a time to reflect positively or sarcastically.

The start of the September semester has been the worst time of the year since I started graduate school. There goes the quiet hallways, the short lines at the coffee shops, and the good parking spots.

Funny enough, when I was in grade school I always looked forward to the first day of school. I especially enjoyed back-to-school shopping. Our family of four would pile in the car and drive down to the USA (back when the $CAD was good) and buy our back-to-school clothes, bags, and supplies. I loved picking out my new pencil box (remember the cardboard ones with funky designs?) and getting a new set of those smelly Mr. Sketch markers (the light blue was my favorite!).

The past few years back-to-school hasn't been so enjoyable - although I usually manage to get in some back-to-school clothes shopping. Perhaps this September will be different, considering this is the first September since 1985 that I haven't actually been going back to school. I just happen to work at one. It will be strange in a way - not prepping for classes or outreach. All I have to do is research.

That's the only thing on my plate? Hmm. Weird. I don't even know what to say about that besides....HALLELUJAH!!!