HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Right up my alley

Alice over at Sciencewomen posted this link about two great jobs at Northwestern. They sound right up my (interest) alley - researching how women in the sciences make career decisions.

The problem? Well, I certainly don't have a social science background, and I most likely won't be moving to the Chicago area.

I'm stuck right now on how to go about searching for jobs. There are jobs like these that I am so incredibly interested in, but I just don't have the experience or the ability to be in that city.

I hear about people switching career paths all the time - but how does one go from science to social science without additional education (because, honestly, that's the last thing I want to do right now)? And what about working from home/from a different city - do many places do that, or do I have to try and find a job in the city where we move (which is still up in the air at this point)?

Not that social science-y jobs are the only option on the table right now. I'm still interested in science/astronomy outreach, technical writing, teaching,  or even becoming a research assistant. But, I think these issues will arise in general during my job search.

Perhaps it will be easier once I know where we will be. Right now it's frustrating because I feel like I can't search for jobs until we know, and I'm  just twiddling my thumbs, sitting, and waiting.