HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, August 28, 2009

Decisions decisions

I have been thinking about it long and hard recently, and have decided that I will be "coming out" on this blog relatively soon. Well, half coming-out anyway. I will use my first name, but will not use names of anyone else I write about.

There are a few reasons why I've decided to do this:
- I don't think I blog about anything particularly controversial, or that could get me in "trouble" in the first place
- I find it strange to be in contact with people without using my real name (particularly over email)
- blogging pseudonymously means there are topics I cannot write about without "outing" myself (since my field is relatively small, and my sub-field is even smaller, especially in Canada) - I'd rather have to watch how I say things rather than what I can say.

Another question in my head right now is whether to change the title of this blog. If I'm blogging under my real name, then the title seems kind of strange. BUT, people already know the blog by that name, so it might be weird to change it now. I'm not sure how much it matters - if you have any thoughts, please let me know!

I am also considering starting another blog - in that case, this one would be my personal one, while the new one would focus on science or science-related posts.

So, I will be posting under my real name shortly. I have to do some house-cleaning first, just to make sure there are no previous posts that could pose problems (holy p's Batman!). Look for some changes by Monday!