HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Update on Resolutions

I am inspired by Cath to give an update on my 2009 resolutions. Plus, since I'm working from home, nothing much is going on worth reporting anyway!

1. Find a hobby
This is going very well. As seen in #3 below, I've been reading a lot (although it's been slowing down lately due to thesisizing). I've also been getting more into knitting. I'm almost done my first project (a scarf), and will move on to a blanket next.

2. Be more active
This wasn't going well until about a week ago when DH and I realized how bad we were doing. Since then I have been to the gym, or done something active, at least once a day. I already can feel a difference in my cardio (running during soccer yesterday was much easier). Now that I'm working from home, it's a lot easier to get to the gym too!

3. Keep reading (1 book/month)
I have read 10 books so far, so I will easily hit my 12 book goal for the year. Once this whole PhD thing is done, I have a feeling my reading will increase!

4. Better at confrontations
I actually am getting better at this - at the very least I don't feel (as) guilty when I need to tell someone to back off, and I'm very good at saying "no". I still have problems telling people what I really need/want, but it's coming along.

5. Research career options
I am still pretty sure I want to go into education and outreach. I haven't been looking into anything specific, and I probably won't until we know where we are moving too. I will be meeting with someone to chat about options next week though, so I can start thinking about what direction I'd like to go.

6. Journal more
I haven't been writing in my journal much at all, but I think that's because I write most things on here. So, in a way I'm doing well on this resolution, but it would be better if I wrote with a pen!

7. Try not to take things so personally
This really seems to depend on the day, but I have noticed that I take things personally even when I shouldn't...or even when I don't know if it's about me. For example, if DH is in a bad mood I immediately think it's about me, when it generally isn't. Hmm. Maybe this is a good thing to talk to my therapist about.

8. Confidence and self-esteem
This has been going up and down over the past few months. Work-wise, I was at an all-time low before I handed in my thesis. Now I'm doing alright, but I have a feeling it will go down again before the defense. Personally, I'm not feeling too bad about myself since we started eating better and working out more. Overall though, this is still something I need to work on - especially to not depend on others to make me feel better about myself.

9. Finish and defend my PhD.
This is obviously well on the way! I submitted 2.5 weeks ago and will be defending on July 20th. If all goes well, I should be able to hand in my corrections later that week and be able to wash my hands of it.

10. Travel to Chicago.
So, this isn't going to happen this year, because we're going to South America instead. It is on the top of the list of American cities to see though, so perhaps next year!

I think I'm doing pretty well overall with my resolutions. There are a few (#4, 7 and 8) that are more of "work-in-progress" type things, but at least I'm heading in the right direction. Hopefully I can keep it up!