HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Monday, June 8, 2009

Six Weeks

The last day of the conference wasn't so bad. Mostly because a) I cried my eyes out to my co-coordinator and she totally understood (even though she's an extrovert), and b) the sessions for that day were in smaller groups. I feel quite motivated now to do a few more things before I'm officially done with the program at the end of July.

My defense is six weeks from today. I've decided that I'm going to keep going in from 9-5pm, as usual, and just break up my day because there are a ton of things I need to do by the end of July:
  • study for my defense
  • prepare my public lecture (40-45 minutes)
  • prepare my talk for conference in Rio (10-15 minutes)
  • prepare a poster for conference in Rio
  • potentially work on revisions of paper #2 (although we might leave this until August)
  • complete capstone project for education workshop
  • wrap up some loose ends with astronomy outreach program
  • do a few things for my science outreach program (organize volunteer appreciation dinner; print banner; organize office; train new coordinators; write annual report; start looking for funding; get better web address)
  • prepare for our trip to South America
  • oh...do normal things too!
It looks like a lot, but a lot of them will take part of a day or so (like all the outreach stuff). I'm glad I have a lot to do before I defend - I'd go totally nuts if all I had to do was study!

Speaking of which - for those of you who have defended your PhD - how did you study for your defense? Any thing work really well? Anything that was useless or didn't help much?