HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Science Badges

I've noticed a couple of bloggers (Prof-like Substance and PiT) have some very cool science badges. On the Science Scout site, you can find these badges (like those you receive in Scouts/Guides). Here are some that apply to me:



The "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, I've got a radio gig" badge. I've been on a few local radio shows, but my crowning glory is a stint on CBC's Quirks and Quarks.



The "Nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, I've got a TV gig" badge. I've been interviewed by a few local stations, even on the breakfast show!



The "science deprives me of my bed" badges - Level I (overnight) and Level II (for at least a week). Ah, astronomy.



The "I've named a child or pet for science" badge. Yup, one of my cats is named Isaac (Newton).



The "I AM actually a freakin' rocket scientist" badge. Well, maybe not a rocket scientist - but a lot of people think astrophysicist is the same thing!



The "has done science whilst under the influence" badge - who hasn't?



The "I've set fire to stuff" badge, Level I. Considering I'm in astronomy, I think that's pretty good that I even have Level I!



The "statistical linear regression" badge - one just has to know what these three words together mean...and I do.



The "I'm into telescopes astro" badges, Levels I (used a telescope), II (received time on professional telescope), and III (received time on space telescope).



The "I've done science with no conceivable practical application" badge. Ah, astronomy.



The "has frozen stuff just to see what happens" badges, Levels I (freezer), II (dry ice) and III (liquid nitrogen).



The "I blog about science" badge - obviously.