HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Wake Up Call

So, there's been a lot of buzz in the science blogosphere today after a fellow blogger, Damn Good Technician, had to shut down their blog. I don't know the exact circumstances, but it seems to have shaken the community. Many bloggers are now editing/deleting posts to avoid a similar situation.

I know that, even though I don't say my name or give my specific location or workplace, it would be pretty easy to figure out who I am if one were to do even a little digging. I know a few people from my offline life do read the blog, and I appreciate that they have respected my anonymity, especially with their comments (thanks for reading guys & gals!).

I do try to keep my posts about me and my personal situations, and not about other people - but sometimes I just need to bitch about a fellow grad student, PI, or even my supervisor. With all that's going on though, I think I will try my best to keep the blog about me and my experiences, and not about others.

It's an unfortunate thing that, even if bloggers write under a pseadonym, we cannot be totally open and honest about all our experiences for fear of being "outed" and shut down. I guess there is a limit to freedom of speech.