HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Female Brain

I finished The Female Brain by Louann Brizendine on the weekend. Here is my review:

The general premise of this book is a good one - it attempts to explain the differences between the female brain at different stages in life, and compares it to the male brain at some points. The big issue I have is that the author seems to believe these differences are solely based on biology, and not on the social environment. I do agree that we are "hard wired" in some way, but I don't think it can be disputed that our upbringing has a huge effect on our personality traits.

I also did not enjoy the writing style very much. It seemed to jump from very technical biology babble (using many terms for example) to very a colloquial style. This book is, I assume, for the general public, and it could have been written better.

The conclusions she draws don't have a lot of evidence to back them up. She would quote one situation or finding, and then make a general conclusion. This might be due to the book being for the general public, but it didn't sit well.

Finally, I would have loved to hear more examples from her clients AND then explain how those examples give evidence for one of her conclusions. It would be a more enjoyable read if that was the case.

Overall, very interesting topic, but take it with a giant grain of salt. 2.5 out of 5 stars.