HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Spring 2009 Time Capsule

This month's Scientiae, which will be hosted at Endless Possibilities v2.0 over at the Nature Network, is all about the time capsule! Katherine writes:
I’ve always been intrigued by timecapsules. Those funny things that people bury under trees, in new buildings, in the ground, whenever something notable is happening. They contain photos, stuff that is soon to be an artifact, letters and other such timely reminders of the present day.

As I’m running a little short of time for a theme for the May Scientiae carnival, I’d like to propose “A Snapshot” as a theme. Create a blog time capsule for yourself that will say Spring 2009 when you look back on it in a couple of years.

You can interpret this in many ways. It could just be a series of pictures that describes your research or life this spring, or it could be an anecdote or moment that is memorable. It could be a snapshot of how your research is going, how your job search is progressing or just how your getting on.

I love doing these things - it takes me back to elementary school, where we would make one at the beginning of the year and then open it 10 months later. It was always fun to see how far we have come, or how different things ended up going.

I'm going to break mine down into a few different sections:

What I'm doing right now
- finishing up my analysis for project #3 so I can finally write my thesis
- heading into the last week of my astronomy outreach program
- looking to hire someone to take my place in my other outreach program
- preparing for our trip to South America

What will happen in the next 6 months
- finish my thesis, submit and defend - all by the end of September
- trip to South America in August
- get the ball rolling on moving (or possibly moving!)
- start looking at job possibilities once we know where we will move
- thinking seriously about starting a family

What I think life will be like in a year from now
- settled in our new city
- looking for/buying a house
- having a new job in science outreach and/or education
- being pregnant!!
- shopping for a new car

I guess we'll see how right I am! This is actually a very exciting time in our lives; there will be a lot of changes in the next few months: traveling, me defending and getting out of academia, DH finding a job and us moving, starting a family, buying a house, me finding a new career path....phew! It will be a whirlwind of change, but I am looking forward to all of it!