HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Friday, April 24, 2009

An Earth Day Challenge

Alice and ScienceWoman over at Sciencewomen have a great post about Earth Day Resolutions, which was started over at Mike Dunford's blog: The Questionable Authority. He issues this challenge:
I'd like you to take a minute or two to come up with three things that you can do to be more environmentally friendly. The first should be something that's small, and easy to do. The second should be more ambitious - something you'll try to do, but might not manage to pull off. The third should be something you can do to improve something you're already doing.
I'll admit, I'm not the most environmental person on the planet - but, I have gotten much better in the last few years. For example, we recycle most of our paper, plastic, glass and aluminum. We also use air conditioning as little as possible, have replaced most of our lights with those ugly, twirly ones (but are better for the environment), make sure appliances we aren't using are unplugged...little things like that. So, here are my resolutions for this challenge:

1. Small - I'm going to stop shaving my legs in the shower. This adds 5-10 minutes to my shower time, and the water is running the whole time. Not good! So, I will either shave my legs in the tub without the water running or at the sink...or I might just start waxing (I'm going to try it this weekend to see how easy it is).

2. Bigger - I want to start riding my bike to work at least once per week. I usually drive by myself and, although it's only about 10 minutes by car, I still feel guilty about doing it every day.

3. Better - similar to ScienceWoman, I/we try to recycle but some things just end up in the garbage instead. So, both at home and at work, I will make sure to recycle everything that can be recycled. This will mean taking the extra effort rinsing out those gross aluminum cans of cat food and tomato paste, but it'll be worth it.

As a scientist, I cannot ignore the affects of our population on the environment. Even doing little things will help! So, I challenge you to come up with three resolutions for yourself!