HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Interview Meme

Another great meme from PDizzle - she gets to ask me 5 questions and I get to answer as intelligently (?) as I can.

Here are the rules:
1. Leave me a comment saying, "Interview me" AND leave your email address (or blog link) in the comment! I will interview the first three commenters to ask for it. I've got a thesis to write :P
2. I will respond by emailing you (or commenting on your blog with) five questions. I get to pick the questions.
3. You will update your blog with the answers to the questions. (If you don't have a blog, I can post your answers here).
4. You will include this explanation and an offer to interview someone else in the same post.
5. When others comment asking to be interviewed, you will ask them five questions.

PD: What is your favorite season of the year?

CH: Fall.

Oh, that's not enough? Okay - I like the Fall because summer is too hot and winter is too cold. This is known as the Goldilocks Effect - there actually is such a thing in Astronomy, which tells us where an Earth-like planet can form around a given star - but I digress. I love the crisp air in the morning and the smell of the falling leaves. I love the fact that it's cool enough to wear a sweater, but warm enough to not wear a jacket. Plus, it's the beginning of the school year, and that was always so exciting for me back in the day!

PD: Do you have a favorite astronomical body/entity?

CH: Yes! My favorite planet is Neptune - mostly because it's pretty:



and because it's thought to rain diamonds there. Yup, you heard me.

PD: How did you and Mr. Comet Hunter get together?

CH: First, just in case he reads this, he'd prefer Dr. Comet Hunter - or even better, Dr. MRI Guy. LOL!

As for the story: he was the captain of the department soccer team (no laughing!), and he needed women on the team so they could play in the coed league. He sent out an email and I replied saying I'd like to (he always said he knew I'd answer, but I think he's BSing me).

We started playing soccer 2 times a week and I had a mondo crush on him: he was smart, cute, and I just have a thing for guys who can play soccer well ;) Two months later a weekend Blue's festival was in town - and I dropped hints that I'd really like to go. He would say the same things but never asked me out! So, eventually I just asked him and we went (although, he'd tell you differently).

The first night was fun, but I was so confused! He kept talking like he wasn't interested in dating at all, and he didn't even kiss me at the end of the night. But, he did invite me over to dinner the next evening. I found out he's an amazing cook (yay!) and then we went back to the Blue's festival - where he finally started putting his arm around my waist and such. At the end of the night I still had to initiate the kiss ;)

PD: What do you think is the most pressing issue facing the world today?

CH: That's one wopper of a question. I'm going to stay away from the most obvious answers (i.e., world hunger, the economy, religious strife) because 1) everyone says them and2) I don't know much about them (*shame*)!

I think racism and sexism (or any bigotries) are still a huge problem, and it just doesn't seem to be getting better. I know we have come a long way since the 1950's (and before), but I feel like it's just come to a grinding halt; like we've come as far as the "majority" will let us.

Here are just a few examples that I cannot even believe are still happening **I know not all American's are like this! These are just my examples**:
- All I heard during the Presidential election was black versus white. Kudos to Obama for not playing the race card, but everyone else ignored what he wanted. I am in awe when I heard that people think he's "not black enough".
- California changing their minds again on gay marriage
- the whole Dr. Jill Biden thing

It's amazing to me that American's can claim they are so accepting and liberal while they're pulling that kind of crap all the time. "Land of the free" - as long as you do what the rest of us are doing :P

PD: What is your fantasy vacation like?

CH: I've got to say that I've always dreamt of doing an around-the-world tour. I'd love to see as much as the world as I can, and that is one of my life-long goals. We'd start off with doing a cross-Canada tour to the West coast. Then we'd fly over to Australia, then up to New Zealand and into Thailand/China/Japan. Then, it'd be on to Russia, then Europe - I'd like to do the train through that part because there is just SO much to see. Then we'd go down to Africa and do a safari :) Then, fly over to South America and work our way up through Central America and end with a cross-US tour. Phew!

That, however, would take at least a year. So, realistically I'm just super exciting to be going to South America in August ;)

****
Thanks for the questions, PD!