HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Me No Speaky Engrish

...at least, according to one of my reviewers for my paper. Apparently, I have "very poor English", and should get a native-English speaker to read over my manuscript before resubmitting.

Now, I don't want to toot my own horn, but I always thought I had fairly decent communication skills - both oral and written. I guess I'm mistaken.

Funny enough, they had no other big revisions for me - just changing one figure slightly and adding a bit of stats to the analysis. The second reviewer liked the paper and only suggested a few references to add. Overall, I'm happy with the comments I received; I don't have a lot of work to do before resubmitting.

I just can't get over someone telling me that I have very poor English --- not just "you made a couple mistakes" or "I don't like the style of some of your statements" --- very poor!! For crying out loud, it's not like I used the words "ain't" or "prolly" or asked the reviewer "where you at?"

Since we have to respond to each comment made by the reviewers - by either saying "thank you, referee, for the enlightenment. I have made the change" or "thank you, referee, for your wonderful input, but we decided not to change it because..." - any advice on how to respond to the "very poor English" comment?