HOME    ABOUT ME    RESOLUTIONS    BOOKS    CONTACT

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I have a Confession…(Part 2)

…there are others things not working out here besides not liking my work and wanting to have a family instead of a career. This city, I swear, is sucking the life right out of me. Let me give you a few examples of why I’m not enjoying myself here:

- it’s a college town (need I say more?)
- if you’re 18 or >35 with young kids, there is plenty to do – you’re screwed otherwise
- most people that live here were born here
- there are no decent ballroom dance clubs
- they refuse to build off-ramps or decent merge lanes because they want the city to feel like a small town
- you’re not allowed to park on the street from 3am-6am for absolutely no good reason
- making a left turn in this city is on the verge of the impossible that I actually plan my routes to make as many right turns as I can
- people constantly drive 10 km/hr under the speed limit

Okay, most of these have to do with driving, and maybe I’m a tad sensitive to things like that, but there’s more: this is the first city that I’ve really had trouble making close friends in. Sure, there are people I talk to at work, but after over 3 years here I still haven’t made any meaningful relationships (besides the one with DH, of course).

I wonder if it’s me. Have I fundamentally changed as a person since I moved here? I don’t think I have. When I travel to other cities I can actually make connections with people quite quickly, even if I’m only there for 1 week! I have made better friends at week-long conferences than I have here in 3 years.

After talking to many others here (natives, newcomers and visitors), I’ve come to the conclusion that this city is snobby, cliquey, rude and self-involved. Entitlement runs rabid here. Everyone thinks they are the most important person in the room, on the road, or even on the sidewalk.

I am continually in awe about how rude people are here. I couldn’t even count the number of times I’ve been forced to walk on the street because a group of 2 or 3 people must walk beside each other on the sidewalk. Or all the students that sit in the hallway with their legs straight out in front of them, pretty much blocking the whole hallway; or the girls who talk on their cell phones while going to the bathroom.

This is not to say that everyone in this city is like this, but sadly the majority are. All I can say is that we have 15 more months before we move out of here, and I’m counting down every single day.